The first K-F product built at the Kawasaki, Japan plant of Kaiser-Frazer
Far East LTD was this 1951 Henry J. The operation was a joint venture between K-F
and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, LTD.
KAISER - FRAZER EXPORT CORPORATION
Sales of Kaiser-Frazer's products outside the 48 United States (including the then U.S. Territories of Alaska & Hawaii) were handled through the company's export division. Harry Dodge was the first
Vice-President in charge of both the K-F and Graham-Paige operations in 1946. He was replaced by Hickman Price, Jr.--nephew of Joseph W. Frazer--in 1947, after Graham's auto export activities were folded into Kaiser-Frazer Export Corporation. Not only did Kaiser-Frazer sell to distributors in various overseas lands, the division also partnered with local businessmen to set up auto assembly plants in different parts of the world. In the summer of 1948, there were Kaiser-Frazer dealers & distributors in over 62 overseas areas (the American territories and foreign nations). Distributorships included Czechoslovakia and South Korea.In many countries where franchises existed, sales were limited as currency regulations enacted by various nations after World War II limited the use of American Dollars for luxury goods.
The first of the overseas plants operated in Bombay, India from 1947 to 1949, and was a partnership with Motor House LTD, the distributor for Kaiser-Frazer vehicles in the newly-independent nation of India.
This plant closed when it became unable to meet the stringent regulation on local product content set by the Indian government. More successful was the plant at Rotterdam, run by Kaiser-Frazer Netherlands
Fabrik. This facility not only produced Kaiser and Frazer cars for sale in Europe but exported vehicles to various African and even South American countries. It operated from 1949 to 1954. Kaiser-Frazer Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, LTD became the first American car company to establish a postwar presence in Japan, teaming up with in late 1950. A 50,000 square foot assembly plant in Kawasaki (still sporting wartime paint work). This plant assembled Henry J automobiles which were sold primarily to Americans working (or stationed) in Japan or the far east. Kaiser-Frazer was also the first American car company to establish a presence in Israel. Kaiser-Frazer of Israel LTD operated an assembly plant at Haifa, which also handled Mack Trucks during the 1950's. All three of these plants were phased out during 1954 as operations were consolidated with those of Willys-Overland Export Corporation. Intermittently operating during this period was an assembly plant at Mexico City. This plant, like the one in Johannesburg South Africa (1947-1954) were entirely distributor-owned.
The last of the "Kaiser-Frazer" export projects was Industrias Kaiser Argentina (IKA) a joint venture between the Kaisers and Argentine business interests. Originally intended as a Jeep plant, the facility at
Cordoba also produced the Kaiser Carebella during 1957-63. Carebellas were 1954-55 Kaiser Manhattans without supercharger, and were only offered with 3-speed manual transmissions. Upholstery in the Carebella utilized Argentine leather and all gage markings on the dashboard were in Spanish.